Abington School District Supervisor of Communications Arts Kelly Doyle presented the Silver Pen Awards to outstanding students at Abington elementary schools during yesterday’s school board meeting.
Each sixth-grade teacher nominates an essay and then the reading consultants select a school representative. Marie Reynolds, reading consultant at Overlook Elementary School, helped organize the awards.
The students received their engraved Silver Pen awards and were honored by the School Board. They presented a collection of their award-winning narratives to school board members and Abington Superintendent Amy Sichel prior to the meeting. They also met before the school board presentation for a Writers' Guild session to share their essays and will have their names added to the Silver Pen plaque displayed at their school.
This year’s winners are:
- Maddie Ballard, Highland Elementary School
- Lily Campoli, Copper Beech Elementary School
- Hannah Castaldi, Roslyn Elementary School
- Andrew Garrett, Rydal Elementary School
- Jessica Miles, Willow Hill Elementary School
- Isabel Parsons, McKinley Elementary School
- Nina Pinto, Overlook Elementary School
- Evan Sutch, Copper Beech Elementary School
The Abington Educational Foundation funds the program.
Information and photo courtesy of Byron Goldstein/Abington School District