A pipe that burst Wednesday at Abington High School may have
been caused by a draft in the ceiling, according to Abington Fire Marshal Ken
The incident happened shortly after 8 a.m. and prompted an evacuation of the school’s students to nearby Abington Junior High School.
“A line in the sprinkler system froze and burst above the ceiling of the cafeteria — there was a lot of water, but not a significant amount of damage,” Clark said. “The school was evacuated, which is protocol, and the young adults were there for about an hour.”
Clark said it’s likely that a draft in the ceiling caused the pipe to burst, and added that cleanup was relatively simple because the cafeteria’s floor is tiled.
Students returned and classes resumed shortly after 9 a.m., according to a letter posted on the school district’s website.
From the letter on the school district’s website written by principal Angelo Berrios:
“The students and staff at the senior high school responded admirably to this situation and everyone’s cooperation was greatly appreciated. I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge and commend the efforts of our central administration, Abington Junior High School, facilities, transportation, and cafeteria staffs. As Principal, I had the opportunity to witness immeasurable teamwork and espirit de corps, thus resulting in an expeditious cleanup operation and the reopening of school.”
A representative from the school did not immediate return calls for comment.