Abington Commissioner Peggy Myers said she is in the process of organizing a plan to get aid to a Willow Grove family that lost its home in Wednesday night’s fire.
The fire, in the 1900 block of Osbourne Avenue, started at about 8:45 p.m. and caused heavy damage to the building, though the structure is intact.
See the initial story here.
The fire displaced five people including a 10-year-old boy, a 4-year-old boy, a 2-year-old girl and the chidren's mother and father. The mother and the children were attending a church function when the fire started, and the father was out of town, according to Abington Fire Marshal Ken Clark.
Myers said the family had an informal lease on the home and was looking to purchase the property.
The family is currently staying with friends in Crestmont, according to Myers.
“I was at the fire last night and the family’s neighbors were extremely concerned,” Myers said. “I was very pleased to see the neighbors reaching out.”
As of now, there is no place to store physical donations, however Myers said monetary donations may be made via check to CAPT (Citizens and Police Together) and may be dropped off or mailed to the Abington Police Department. Make sure to include “Osbourne Avenue Fire” in the “memo” section of the check.
The Abington School District has reached out to Myers to give aid, and the Abington YMCA has offered to donate three winter coats to the family.