A two-alarm fire at the Colonade apartment complex late last night in the 100 block of Old York Road left a man and a woman homeless and in the care of the Red Cross. No one was seriously injured.
. was the first to respond. McKinley Fire Co. Chief Greg Breyer said he got the call at 10:45 p.m. He said the blaze originated in a sixth-floor apartment.
"We had room contents fire [on the sixth floor] with heavy smoke conditions on the seventh, eighth and ninth floors," Breyer said. "There was no extension of fire.
"The way it works is these hallways are pressurized," he said. "The biggest concern we had once we located the fire was the smoke condition. We had a few residents that had medical conditions that we had to rescue and evacuate down to the lobby."
Breyer said about 150 Colonade residents were evacuated; the last group of residents was allowed to re-enter at 12:28 a.m. Wednesday.
The sixth-floor apartment was occupied; the unit directly above it was not, Breyer said.
Breyer said the Colonade was unable to provide accommodations for the two whose apartment was directly affected, but added that the Red Cross has a good working relationship with the township.
See original story below.
Several fire trucks are lining the southbound lanes of the 100 block of Old York Road in Abington as fire crews deal with a 2-alarm blaze that appears to have affected a sixth-floor apartment.
The bulk of the fire was put out at about 11:15 p.m., though a large ladder is still leaning against the buildling.
At least one family has been displaced and the Red Cross has been notified.
Calls came in at about 11 p.m.
More details as soon as we get them.