.

Machines Cause Two Separate Fires in Abington

There were two fires in Abington over the weekend; one was in Roslyn and one was near the Lower Moreland border. Both were machine-related.

 

The 2100 block of Moreland Road

On Friday night, a car parked in a driveway in the 2100 block of Moreland Road caught on fire and caused the vinyl siding of two adjacent houses to catch fire, according to Abington Fire Marshal Ken Clark. The fire was so intense that it caused a window to shatter on one of the houses.

According to Clark, the homeowner said her car started malfunctioning as she drove home from work. She parked the car and later saw something glowing in her driveway.

Clark said no one was injured.

--

Turner and Bishop avenues

Clark said a fire started Sunday at about 10:30 p.m. in the basement of a home near the corner of Turner and Bishop avenues in Roslyn. 

The cause? A gas clothes dryer.

“The house was filled with smoke — really thick, heavy smoke,” Clark said. “The fire was extinguished quickly, but a fire fighter suffered a shoulder injury when he tripped on something in a bedroom.”

The fire fighter was taken to Abington Memorial Hospital and released.

The family — a mother, father and several children — was home at the time of the fire. None of them was injured.

“We’re not 100 percent, but it’s generally a lint issue with dryers,” Clark said. “The clothing in the drum gets too hot and catches fire.”

Clark suggested cleaning the lint traps regularly and taking time to inspect the dryer’s ventilation pipe periodically. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »