To the Editor:
“Charm” is one of the reasons often given for why people like living in Glenside and its surrounding neighborhoods so much. Part of that charm is Keswick Village, which is made up of many wonderful merchants – most of whom also live in the neighborhood. However, several of these great Keswick Village merchants – especially those who sell gift-type merchandise – have been struggling in this economy and may have to close down or move out if things do not improve. Those of us who value Keswick Village and these merchants do not want to see that happen.
Unlike some other problems that we hear about on the news, this is a problem we can do something about. And, the solution is simple and enjoyable (unless you don’t like shopping). That’s right, instead of going to the mall, Target or Pier 1, you can do a lot of your holiday gift shopping in Keswick Village. You might be surprised how many stores in the Village sell beautiful hostess and other gifts for those on your shopping list.
One of the best ways to experience and check out these stores is to attend the Keswick Village “First Friday” celebration this Friday, Dec. 2.
The following is the list of stores who will be participating in First Friday, and the deals they are offering. Many stores also offer gift cards. Most stores will be open until 8 p.m. on Friday.
- Keswick Card and Gift Shop – home decorations and jewelry; free greeting card with any gift purchase, free refreshments
- Bittersweet Village – vintage gifts, clothing and jewelry. Meet a great book for gift giving
- Irish Shop – beautiful Irish plates, jewelry, clothing and music
- Penny’s Flowers – home decorations, scarves, pocketbooks and, of course, flowers; buy one get one free on all fresh flowers
- Kelly-Cataldi Home – the new store to the right of Bittersweet; vintage home goods, antiques, gifts
- Granny’s Sewing Den – gifts for the sewer on your list; 10 percent off (minimum 1 yard); buy a chance on a beautiful quilt
- Oh So Pretty Grooming – gifts for the pet owner on your list; 10 percent off everything in the store; pictures of your pet with Santa Claus
- Hohenstein Pottery Gallery & Studio – the new store to the left of O’Neill’s; handmade pottery and jewelry
- Baily Banks & Bob’s – fine estate jewelry
- Keswick Theatre – is offering a $5 discount to the “Jingle Bell Rock” show with mention of First Friday
- Keswick Coffee – delicious coffees
- A Taste of Philly – delicious soft pretzels
- Glenside Nails – free design with nail service over $21
- Keswick Kitchen and Bath – counters and cabinets; receive 5 percent discount coupon
- Gerhard’s Appliances – TVs, videos, appliances
- Keswick Flooring – hardwoods, laminates, & carpeting.
- Giancarlo Upholstery – furniture re-upholstering, including a green line of foam products made of bamboo and soy
- Kirkland and Kirkland – antiques, collectibles and relocation services
And two new stores, just a few blocks away from the heart of Keswick Village, will also be participating in First Friday:
- Heirloom Home and Studio, 2227 Mount Carmel Ave., a few shops west of Ralph’s Barber Shop. Ceramic-design studio, garden-to-table dinnerware collection, furniture and home decor, handmade tees and gifts, table-top gardens, fountains, heirloom garden seeds
- Grin and Wear It, 108 Keswick Ave., a few shops to the right of Daryl’s Pastry; embroidered ad screen-printed clothing
These are in addition to the merchants who are an integral part of daily life in Keswick Village: O’Neill’s Food Market, Keswick Tavern, The Village Diner, Dynamic Modern Dentistry, Keswick Music Works , Belle Amie Hair Salon, Adams Discount Pharmacy McDermott Real Estate, New Life Church, Fitzgerald Auto, and Susquehanna Bank.
Shop American. Shop Local.
- Eileen Araco