Fireplace Smoke Calls Crews to Old Welsh and Edge Hill
No one was injured in the smoky situation.
The incident yesterday at a home near the corner of Edge Hill and Old Welsh roads appears to be the result of a teenager attempting to start a fire in the home's fireplace with the flue closed.
Abington Fire Marshal Ken Clark said today that the teenager was likely not paying attention when he attempted to start the fire; his mother then arrived home, distracted him, and the house began to fill with smoke. The mother did not know that her son had left a "pre-manufactured" log in the fireplace.
No one was injured and the family was able to remain at the house after crews had vented the smoke.
According to Clark, the teenager said he attempted to build the fire because he was cold.